Showing care, love and honour
Beautiful tributes to suit all preferences
Flowers are a common element used in funeral and memorial services, and are usually purchased by the family for the service and by friends as a symbol of condolence.
Types of flowers and arrangements
Though you can have any type of flowers or style of arrangement at a funeral or memorial service, there are some flowers and arrangements that are more common than others.
Traditional arrangements include:
- Casket sprays, which sit atop the coffin or casket
- Standing sprays, which may be in the form of bouquets, wreaths, hearts, crosses or other shapes
- Bouquets in baskets or vases.
When it comes to choosing the type of flowers, there are many choices – particularly these days as there are far more varieties on offer and flowers that were once only seasonally available are now on hand all year round. Common choices include lilies, roses and carnations.
However, before you tell the florist to “put something nice together”, take a moment to consider what your flowers are actually saying. Read our FAQ about what different types of flowers symbolise.
How to choose flowers
When considering what flowers you would like to have at a funeral service, think about the overall effect you want to achieve.
- Do you want a few simple bouquets? Or would you prefer a number of more lavish arrangements?
- What mood do you want the flowers to convey? A sombre mood? Or something more celebratory?
- Are there floral fragrances that you prefer more than others?
- What colours do you prefer? While white is a common choice, you may also choose flowers based on the personal preference of the deceased.
Requests for ‘no flowers’
It is becoming increasingly common for families to request that no flowers be sent, instead opting to encourage mourners to contribute donations to a charity. Even where this is the case, it’s still usual to have flowers atop the coffin or casket.
Young’s Florist is a specialist in floral tributes and funeral flowers. Located onsite with Walter Carter Funerals, they have many years of experience helping families create unique and personal floral tributes that reflect the life and style of a loved one.
Classic white casket cover
Seasonal white casket cover
Classic white pot
Seasonal white pot
Pink, white and mauve casket cover
Seasonal pink and white casket cover
Classic pink and white pot
Seasonal pink and white pot
Classic blue, white and purple casket cover
Seasonal blue and white casket cover
Seasonal blue, white and purple casket cover
Classic blue, white and purple pot
Shades of pink roses casket cover
White roses casket cover
Soft pink roses casket cover
Pink and white roses casket cover
Classic yellow, white and green casket cover
Seasonal yellow casket cover
Australian natives casket cover