Types of services
A unique life deserves a unique goodbye
Arranging a service to suit your needs
The kind of service you choose is only limited by your imagination, taking into account your budget and certain legal requirements. Some people prefer a more traditional or religious service, while others want to create a truly original event to say goodbye.
Arranging a funeral service can be daunting, but we will explain everything you need to know. We’ll advise you of the options and choices, make all the arrangements and ensure that the service meets all your expectations.
Main types of service
- Usually held within a few days of the death
- The body is generally present
- Usually held at a funeral home, religious place of worship, at a chapel at the cemetery or crematorium, or by the graveside. The service may not be held in its entirety at a single location; for example, a church or chapel service may be followed by graveside attendance
- May be held separately to a burial or cremation.
- Usually held more than a few days after the death
- The body is generally not present
- Can be held anywhere of personal significance
- May be held after a burial or cremation.
Factors that may influence the type of service
The type of service you arrange is a personal choice and there are a number of questions you should ask yourself when making arrangements:
- Where will the service be held? You may choose for the funeral service to be held in its entirety at one location. Alternatively, it can be held in two parts (for example, at a church and then at a graveside).
- Will the committal be attended by family, friends and/or guests? Where the funeral service is held at a church or chapel, you may or may not then choose to attend the graveside or crematorium for the committal.
- What is the timeframe? If you choose a memorial service over a traditional funeral, there is more flexibility with timing.
- Will there be a social gathering? You may choose to hold a wake after the service or even hold a social gathering in lieu of a traditional service. Talk to the team at Walter Carter Funerals about personalising a service to suit your needs.